Assigned Mon, January 6, 2014
Project Due at start of class Wed, January 22,2014
PRINTABLE VERSION –> MosaicProjectGODSYMBOLS
OBJECTIVE: To become familiar with the art of mosaics. To design and create a mosaic 11”x14” that visually depicts a Roman god’s symbol and the god’s name. To learn the story about the god’s and his/her symbol.
You will be randomly be assigned ONE of the following gods:
- Apollo dolphin
- Apollo harp
- Bacchus grapes/grapevine
- Ceres cornucopia
- Ceres grain/wheat
- Diana bow and arrow
- Diana crescent moon
- Diana deer
- Juno peacock
- Juno pomegranate
- Jupiter eagle
- Jupiter oak tree/leaf
- Jupiter thunderbolt
- Mars dog
- Mercury caduceus
- Mercury winged cap
- Mercury winged sandals
- Minerva gorgon
- Minerva olive branch
- Minerva owl
- Neptune horse
- Neptune trident
- Pluto bident
- Pluto helmet of invisibility
- Venus dove
- Venus seashell
- Vulcan anvil
- Vulcan fire
For this project, you must create a mosaic of depicting a Roman god’s symbol and the god’s name. You may use almost anything to create your mosaic (tile, stone, beads, cut up pieces of construction paper – NO FOOD/PASTA/MACARONI please!). Once you choose your materials, you must make the whole mosaic out of that material.
STEPS FOR SUCCESS! 🙂
- RESEARCH images of your symbols. Typing the symbol paired with the word mosaic is a good start. (e.g., “dolphin mosaic”)
- RESEARCH the story behind your assigned symbol and god. Then TYPE UP a “caption” that briefly describes/summarizes the story behind the symbol and the god and that includes your name and section/manus. PLEASE USE http://www.theoi.com/greek-mythology/olympian-gods.html
- MAKE A DRAFT and CHOOSE YOUR COLORS..
- CHOOSE and PURCHASE your materials (see list below!) for the mosaic. You might need to cut out your tiles if you are usingBe aware that the smaller the “tile” size, the more detailed your mosaic.
- CAREFULLY CREATE YOUR MOSAIC – Please do not underestimate how much time and patience this takes to do it well.
- PASTE/GLUE/TAPE YOUR “CAPTION” to the back of your mosaic.
MATERIALS (you/your parents should expect to purchase most of these)***
- FOR THE BASE use any of the following: Posterboard, posterboard mounted onto cardboard, or plywood that is 11” x 14”
- FOR THE “TILES” use any of the following: actual pieces of tile, stone, beads, squares cut from construction paper or from paint samples. You may use just about anything, but no food, please!
- Once you choose your materials, please stick with it. Your mosaic must be consistent.
- SIZE must be no larger than ½ inch wide or long.
- FOR THE ADHESIVE: Glue or paste (glue stick tends to dry over time)
- If you need something stronger than this, please see me for more information AND be sure to ask your parents for permission.
- *** If you or your parent are unable to purchase these materials you must let me know AS SOON AS POSSIBLE and IN WRITING (i.e., note from your parent). Waiting 1-3 days before the assignment is due is NOT soon enough.
DEADLINE: At the beginning of class on Wednesday, January 22, 2014. The rules established for the derivatives poster project apply here. See below:
GRADING CRITERIA (3 points extra if your provide this rubric with your project.)
BASICS (25 pts) Your mosaic must:
|Depict the symbol assigned to you||5 pts||Your Name:|
|Depict the god’s name||5 pts|
|Use “tiles” that are no larger the ½ inch wide/long.||5 pts|
|Be 11” x 14”||5 pts||Manus:|
|Include your typed-up caption||5 pts|
AESTHETICS (60 pts) To achieve the highest possible points, the mosaic must:
|Be neat and professional-looking (e.g. “tiles” are glued on properly and DO NOT overlap)||15 pts||Score out of 100:|
|Be completed (e.g. “tiles” fill up the entire space, no border)||15 pts|
|Be colorful (e.g., colors contrast each other and create specific outlines for objects)||15 pts||E.C. for Rubric?|
|Be balanced in terms of layout and color||15 pts|
CAPTION (15 pts) To achieve the highest possible points, the caption must:
|Include your name and manus||2 pts|
|Explain the story of your symbol and god briefly in one paragraph (5-7 complex sentences)||3 pts|
|Be accurate||5 pts|
|Use correct grammar and spelling.||5 pts|